Idaho GenWeb Teton Idaho Genealogy USGenWeb

Teton County Gazetteer

This page contains information about all sorts of places in Teton County; not only those that exist today, but those that may no longer exist. Where the place name is underlined, it is a link that will bring up the "home page" within USGS' GNIS for this place, including links to a number of map options. Keep in mind that for a feature like a stream, it may appear on multiple maps and at multiple coordinates. If you have corrections or additions for the Gazetteer, please send them to me.

If you have similar information you would like to make available online but just don't have the place or the expertise, please contact the County Coordinator at: coord@tetonid.us.


Aline Ward
This is the name of the first Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the territory of present day Teton County. It was formed in August 1889 as part of the Bannock Stake and included all church members in the Teton Basin. It's name was taken from the works of Washington Irving, who wrote of the beauties of this area. It met in a large log building about a mile northwest of the present Driggs post office. In early 1895 the ward was moved to Alta, Wyoming where it was later renamed as the Pratt Ward.

Allen Creek GPS: Lat-433625N Long-1110532W USGS 7.5 Map: Victor
Runs from the mountains due east of Victor.
Alpine (T5N R45E sections 25, 26, 35) ALT: 6116' GPS: Lat-434324N Long-1110638W USGS 7.5 Map: Driggs
Alpine was the name of this settlement until a Post Office was created in 1894, at which time it was renamed Driggs after the predominant family surname in the community.

Badger Creek (T7N R44E section 20) GPS: Lat-435455N Long-1111649W USGS 7.5 Map:Drummond
Badger Creek begins in Wyoming as as North and South Creeks. They converge in Idaho about 10 miles North of Driggs. From there it flows on an erratic course about 15 miles until it empties into the Teton River. The name was given to this stream by F. V. Hayden, USGS, for the badgers he observed in the area.

Badger (T7N R45E sections 4, 5) ALT: 6030' GPS: Lat-435223N Long-1111102W USGS 7.5 Map:Tetonia
A post office by this name was established on Badger Creek in 1904. The name was changed in 1913 to Felt.

Bates ALT: 6120; GPS: Lat-434130N Long-1111200W USGS 7.5 Map: Bates
A rural farm community just southeast of Mahogany Creek, Bates was named after Thomas George Bates, one of the earliest settlers in 1889 who also served as the first Presiding Elder of the branch in Bates. Bates is located on the west side of the river, unusual for Teton County communities which are mostly on the east side. It was in this area in 1890 that the first threshing machine in the county was operated.

Bates Cemetery GPS: Lat-434229N Long-1111314W USGS 7.5 Map: Bates
Cemetery associated with the community of Bates.

Bitch Creek GPS: Lat-435530N Long-1111730W USGS 7.5 Map:Drummond
Beginning in Wyoming, the stream forms the NE border of Teton County with Fremont County until its convergence with Badger Creek. The original name Anse de Biche Creek was reportedly given by French trappers and then corrupted by their American counterparts. The name is a corruption of the French Biche, meaning "doe". The 1872 Hayden expedition changed the name to the North Fork of the Teton River but it is still commonly known as Bitch Creek. Also said by some to be named because it is a very rugged canyon and the fast flowing water makes it a "real bitch" to navigate.

Cache (T5N R45E sections 4,5,8,9} ALT: 6050' GPS: Lat-434717N Long-1110944W USGS 7.5 Map:Tetonia
This is an early Mormon settlement half way between Driggs and Tetonia, with the townsite settled in 1907. It was named for Cache Valley, the original home of most of the settlers. The word cache was given during fur trade days to places used to store pelts and fur trapping equipment. The Union Pacific Rail Road name for Cache is Dwight.

Cache Clawson Cemetery GPS: Lat-434856N Long-1110831W USGS 7.5 Map: Tetonia
Cemetery associated with the communities of Cache and Clawson.

Canyon Creek (T7N R42E section 23)
This stream begins in the Black Hole Mountains in Teton County and then flows about 27 miles north and northwest to empty into the Teton River near the Madison/Fremont County line. It was named in 1872 by Dr. F. V. Hayden of the USGS for its major feature, a deep gorge which intersects the Teton River Canyon.

Canyon Creek Butte ALT: 6121'
This is an isolated promontory about 3 miles east of Canyon Creek, after which it is named.

Cedron (T4N R45E section 31) ALT: 6085' GPS: Lat-433720N Long-1111125W USGS 7.5 Map:Fourth of July Peak
Cedron is a farming community about 3 miles northwest of Victor on Trail Creek. The Mormon settlement was begun in 1888 just West of of Trail Creek, but the actual name did not appear until 1911, first published in the Teton Valley News (Driggs). It was named for the brook that flows through the Garden of Gethsemane.

Cedron Cemetery GPS: Lat-433929N Long-1111137W USGS 7.5 Map:
Cemetery associated with the community of Cedron.

Chapin (T4N R45E section 26) ALT: 6151' GPS: Lat-433836N Long-1110636W USGS 7.5 Map:Driggs
This early settlement is located 2 miles north of Victor on Fox Creek and dates from the late 1880s. It was first called Fox, from 1892 until 1896. B. W. Driggs says the name came from a man at the US Post Office who wanted to honor himself. A more likely source is from a Mr. Chapin, an early mountaineer and trapper in the area.

Clawson (T6N R45E sections 34, 35) ALT: 6186' GPS: Lat-434753N Long-1110636W USGS 7.5 Map:Clawson
This town is 5 miles north of Driggs on South Leigh Creek. It is an agricultural center of a rich valley, drained by several streams, and with springs, groves and forests. The area was settled between 1882-1903 and was originally known as Leigh (for Leigh Creek which was named for frontiersman Richard "Beaver Dick" Leigh). The townsite was platted 5 December 1915 and renamed Clawson. It has had a Post office since 1896. Clawson was named for Spencer Clawson, who in 1905 offered lots for the townsite if it were renamed after him.

Clementsville (T6N R43E section 3) ALT: 5985' GPS: Lat-435236N Long-1112209W USGS 7.5 Map:Drummond
This town is located in the northwest part of the county, between the rim of Teton Basin and Canyon Creek. The area was organized as a branch of the Teton Stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 30 May 1915. At that time the community had a church, a school, and a general store. It was named for Cecil Clements, the first branch president of Clementsville Branch.

Crandall Spring (T4N R46E section 20) GPS: Lat-433947N Long-1110310W USGS 7.5 Map: Driggs
The spring is located about 5 miles southeast of Driggs near the head of Sorensen Creek. It's name came from H. L. Crandall, who in 1905 homesteaded land near the mouth of the stream that flows from the spring about 3 miles South of Driggs.

Darby (T4N R46E section 6) ALT: 6319' GPS: Lat-434139N Long-1110355W USGS 7.5 Map: Driggs
This was an early settlement and Post Office on the bench about 4 miles southeast of Driggs, about Darby Creek. Most settlers arrived between 1882 and 1902, while the townsite was dedicated in 1907. It was named for Jim Darby, who settled on then named Goodfellow Creek in 1882. The creek and the town soon came to be called Darby.

Darby Creek (T4N R45E section 17) GPS: Lat-434058N Long-1110955W USGS 7.5 Map: Bates
This stream originates on the western slope of the Teton Mountains and flows west 6 miles into the Teton River. Originally called Goodfellow Creek, it became known as Darby after the first area settler, Jim Darby.

Drake Canyon (T3N R44E sections 12, 13) GPS: Lat-433557N Long-1111103W USGS 7.5 Map: Fourth of July Peak
Drake Canyon is near the head of the Teton River, angles northeast to the river at T3N R45E section 8 about 2 miles west of Victor. Named after Richard Drake who settled with his family about 1889. They were popular in the area because they played the piano and fiddle for many area dances.

Driggs (T5N R45E sections 25, 26, 35) ALT: 6116' GPS: Lat-434324N Long-1110638W USGS 7.5 Map: Driggs
Driggs is the county seat, located near the center of the county, and about 1/2 mile north of Spring Creek. Although there were a few who settled earlier, the main settlement was by Mormons in 1898. The town was originally called Alpine. When the Post Office was established in 1894, the Post Office Department chose the name Driggs because of the large number of individuals with that surname who signed the official petition. The town of Driggs was officially established in 1909 and when Teton County was formed in 1915 it was named the county seat.

Driggs Cemetery GPS: Lat-434327N Long-1110453W USGS 7.5 Map: Driggs
Cemetery associated with the community of Driggs.

Driggs-Darby Cemetery GPS: Lat-434149N Long-1110432W USGS 7.5 Map: Driggs
Cemetery associated with the community of Darby.

Dwight (T5N R45E sections 4,5,8,9} ALT: 6050' GPS: Lat-434717N Long-1110944W USGS 7.5 Map:Tetonia
Dwight is the name given this place by the Union Pacific Railroad. It is otherwise known as Cache. It is an early Mormon settlement half way between Driggs and Tetonia, with the townsite settled in 1907. It was named for Cache Valley, the original home of most of the settlers. The word cache was given during fur trade days to places used to store pelts and fur trapping equipment. The Union Pacific Rail Road name for Cache is Dwight; The origin of this name for the place is unknown.

Felt (T7N R45E sections 4, 5) ALT: 6030' GPS: Lat-435223N Long-1111102W USGS 7.5 Map:Tetonia
Felt is located in northern Teton County about 5 miles northwest of Tetonia, near Badger Creek. It was originally named Badger when a Post Office was established on Badger Creek in 1904 but the name was changed in 1913 to Felt. The name came from early settlers, Jim Felt and his brother, who settled on Badger Creek in 1889. Other settlers and homesteaders claimed most of the area land by 1911 when the townsite was dedicated.

Felt Cemetery GPS: Lat-435145N Long-1111215W USGS 7.5 Map: Tetonia
Cemetery associated with the community of Felt.

Fox (T4N R45E section 26) ALT: 6151' GPS: Lat-433836N Long-1110636W USGS 7.5 Map:Driggs
This early settlement is located 2 miles north of Victor on Fox Creek and dates from the late 1880s. It was first called Fox or Fox Creek, from 1892 until 1896, and is now known as Chapin. It was named in 1872 by F. V. Hayden of USGS because of the many red foxes in the area.

Fox Creek/Canyon (T4N R45E section 20) GPS: Lat-433909N Long-1111026W USGS 7.5 Map: Bates
The stream begins in the canyon of the same name in the highlands East of present day Chapin. It flows Northwest to empty into the Teton River.

Game Creek (T3N R46E section 19) GPS: Lat-433431N Long-1110428W USGS 7.5 Map: Victor
The stream begins on the South slope of Housetop Mountain and Baldy Knoll in the Wyoming portion of the Teton Range. It flows Southwest to Trail Creek about 4 miles Southeast of Victor. It was named by the USGS' F. V. Hayden in 1872 because of the abundance of game in the area.

Garns Mountain (T4N R43E section 23) ALT: 8999' GPS: Lat-433948N Long-1111955W USGS 7.5 Map: Garns Mountain
This peak is located in the Black Hole Mountains in the Southwest portion of Teton COunty about 7 miles west of a point midway between Bates and Cedron. Ed Garns, who ran a herd of sheep in the area in 1914-1915, lost much of his herd because of difficulties between cattlemen and sheepmen. He left his name on this mountain.

Goodfellow Creek (T4N R45E section 17) GPS: Lat-434058N Long-1110955W USGS 7.5 Map: Bates
This stream originates on the western slope of the Teton Mountains and flows west 6 miles into the Teton River. Originally named Goodfellow Creek, it later became known as Darby Creek. The original name was given by USGS serveyor F. V. Hayden, after the cook on his expedition.

Grouse Creek GPS: Lat-435003N Long-1110723W USGS 7.5 Map: Clawson
A tributary of Spring Creek that begins in Wyoming.

Haden (T6N R44E section 20) ALT: 6005' GPS: Lat-434930N Long-1111044W USGS 7.5 Map: Tetonia
A historical community, it was located about 1 mile West of Tetonia and 3 miles East of the Teton River Bridge. A Post Office was created here in 1890 and the townsite was dedicated in 1905. It flourished until the Union Pacific Rail Road was built through nearby Tetonia. Then most of Haden's establishments were moved to Tetonia to be near the railroad. The post office was shutdown after 1913, before Teton County's formation. The name was chosen by the Post Office Department to honor federal geologist and surveyor F. V. Hayden. For an unknown reason, the "Y" was intentionally omitted from the name.

Haden Cemetery GPS: Lat-434942N Long-1111216W USGS 7.5 Map: Tetonia
Cemetery associated with the community of Haden.

Henderson Peak ALT: 8312' GPS: Lat-433913N Long-1111516W USGS 7.5 Map: Garns Mountain
Part of the Big Hole Mountains about 3 miles west of a point midway between Bates and Cedron. About 5 miles east of Garns Mountain in the southwest portion of Teton County.

Horseshoe Creek(T4N R44E section 12) GPS: Lat-434649N Long-1111246W USGS 7.5 Map: Tetonia, Bates, & Garn Mountain
Tributary of the Teton River. It originates in the Packsaddle Basin near the community of Sam and flows first southeast, then northeast to the Teton River.

Hunnidale
A community formerly in northern Teton County that no longer exists. Also known as Valview. A few families located just east of present day Felt and called the area Hunnidale district. The Mormon church branch located there was known as the Valview Branch. Besides the few homes, the only other buildings in Hunnidale were a post office and a church.

Johns Creek GPS: Lat-435147N Long-1110419W USGS 7.5 Map: Clawson, McRenolds Reservoir
A tributary of the South Fork of Badger Creek that begins in Wyoming.

Judkins ALT: 6025' GPS: Lat-435519N Long-1110856W USGS 7.5 Map: Lamont
Located in the far north of the county, about 3 miles north northeast of Felt roughly where Swaner Creek crosses the Union Pacific Railroad line. It does show up on the USGS topographical maps but I can't find much other evidence of it's existence.

Kimball Canal GPS: Lat-433615N Long-1110526W USGS 7.5 Map: Victor (flows to Driggs map also)
Runs from Allen Creek near the mountains due east of Victor. Flows north toward Driggs.

Leigh (T6N R45E sections 34, 35) ALT: 6186' GPS: Lat-434753N Long-1110636W USGS 7.5 Map:Clawson
This town is 5 miles north of Driggs on South Leigh Creek. It is an agricultural center of a rich valley, drained by several streams, and with springs, groves and forests. The area was settled between 1882-1903 and was originally known as Leigh (for Leigh Creek which was named for frontiersman Richard "Beaver Dick" Leigh). The townsite was platted 5 December 1915 and renamed Clawson. It has had a Post office since 1896. Clawson was named for Spencer Clawson, who in 1905 offered lots for the townsite if it were renamed after him.

Mike Harris Creek GPS: Lat-433330N Long-1110404W USGS 7.5 Map: Victor
Feeder stream for the Teton River in the southeast portion of the county near the base of Teton Pass, rising in the Snake Creek Mountains near the border with Bonneville County and flowing northeast into the Teton River.

Monument Peak ALT: 7655' GPS: Lat-434057N Long-1111605W USGS 7.5 Map: Garns Mountain
Part of the Big Hole Mountains about 3 miles west of Bates. About 5 miles east northeast of Garns Mountain in the southwest portion of Teton County.

Moose Creek GPS: Lat-433347N Long-1110406W USGS 7.5 Map: Victor, Mount Ellis
Feeder stream for the Teton River in the southeast portion of the county near the base of Teton Pass, rising in Wyoming in the Teton Mountains and flowing west into the Teton River.

Oasis
A community formerly in northern Teton County that no longer exists. It is believe that this was due west of present day Cache and that there was a post office or mail distribution point here.

Pine Creek Pass ALT: abt 6700' GPS: Lat-433418N Long-1111252W USGS 7.5 Map: Fourth of July Peak
About 6 miles southwest of Victor in the Big Hole Mountains on Little Pine Creek.

Piney Peak ALT: 9020' GPS: Lat-433748N Long-1112128W USGS 7.5 Map: Garns Mountain
About 3 miles south southwest of Garns Mountain in the Snake River Range. It is in far southwest Teton County, about 1/4 mile north of the Bonneville County line and two miles east of the Madison County line.

Raymond (T3N R45E section 11) ALT: 6207' GPS: Lat-433610N Long-1110638W USGS 7.5 Map: Victor
Raymond is an earlier name for the town now called Victor. It is located about 8 miles south of Driggs in the southeast part of the county. The first settlers arrived about 1889 and it has had a post office since 1892. It was first known as Fox. It was platted and dedicated in 1901 as Raymond, after the first bishop of the local Mormon ward, David Raymond Sinclair. It's current name was given in honor of George Victor Sherwood, the mail carrier between this community and Jackson, Wyoming, who delivered the mail through an Indian scare despite great danger.

Red Mountain ALT: 8697' GPS: Lat-433747N Long-1111618W USGS 7.5 Map: Garns Mountain
About 4 miles southeast of Garns Mountain near the intersection of the Big Hole Mountains with the Snake River Range, and about 4 miles west of Cedron.

Richvale
A community formerly in northern Teton County that no longer exists. It was located in the mouth of Packsaddle Canyon across the river to the west of Cache.

Sam (T5N R44E section 31) ALT: 6500' GPS: Lat-434309N Long-1111811W USGS 7.5 Map: Garns Mountain
Sam is a ghost town located in the Big Hole Mountains in the southwestern part of Teton County. High quality coal was discovered here in the 1890s by Charles H. Rammell. R. S. Talbot organized the Idaho Coal Mines Company in 1917. F. H. Samuels (from which the name Sam came) became the owner after Talbot, but was beset with myriad problems, including trouble with labor and a fire that destroyed the tipple. In 1935 he was financially ruined and the mine closed. Sam had a Post Office from 1925-1934. It was originally called Talbot after the previous owner.

Steep Creek GPS: Lat-435146N Long-1110333W USGS 7.5 Map: Clawson
A tributary of the South Fork of Badger Creek that begins in Wyoming.

Talbot (T5N R44E section 31) ALT: 6500' GPS: Lat-434309N Long-1111811W USGS 7.5 Map: Garns Mountain
Talbot was a town located in the Big Hole Mountains in the southwestern part of Teton County. High quality coal was discovered here in the 1890s by Charles H. Rammell. R. S. Talbot organized the Idaho Coal Mines Company in 1917, from which it was named. F. H. Samuels became the owner after Talbot, and renamed it Sam. He was beset with myriad problems, including trouble with labor and a fire that destroyed the tipple. In 1935 he was financially ruined and the mine closed. A Post Office existed here after being renamed Same, from 1925-1934.

Teepee Creek GPS: Lat-435458N Long-1110813W USGS 7.5 Map: Lamont, McReynolds Reservoir
Originates in the Teton Mountains on the Wyoming side of the border, then flows into the northeastern portion of Teton County. It flows generally west southwest until it enters Swaner Creek near Judkins.

Temple Peak ALT: 8219' GPS: Lat-433904N Long-1112017W USGS 7.5 Map: Garns Mountain
About a mile south southwest of Garns Mountain in the southwest portion of the county.

Teton County
In the northern part of far eastern Idaho on the Wyoming border, the county was established in 1915 from portions of Madison, Fremont, and Bonneville counties with Driggs as its county seat. Although frequented by Indians and fur traders for many years, the first permanent settlers arrived in small numbers in the later part of the first half of the 1800s. Significant settlement began in 1888 with the settlement of what later became Driggs by a group of Mormon colonists from Salt Lake City. Near the same time, Victor was settled by a similar group from Cache Valley Utah/Idaho and within a few years the Teton Valley was dotted with farms and small communities. In 1912 the Union Pacific Railroad completed a branch line to Driggs. The county is bounded on the north by Fremont County, on the West by Madison County, the South by Bonneville County, and the west by Teton County, Wyoming. The entire county is within the drainage of the Teton River. It and the river take their names from the Teton Mountains which rise majestically above the county to the West in Wyoming. French fur trappers named these peaks from French for "Breast."

Teton Creek GPS: Lat-434141N Long-1110948W USGS 7.5 Map: Bates, Driggs
Rising in Wyoming in Teton Canyon to the east of Alta in the Teton Mountains, this creek runs near Driggs, then into the Teton River about 3 miles southwest of Driggs near the Bates bridge.

Teton River
The Teton River, beginning in Wyoming to the West, drains the entire Teton County area through a large number of tributary streams. It flows north through the center of the county and forms part of the boundary between Teton and Fremont counties. It leaves the county, flowing west along the northern boundary to form the boundary between Fremont and Madison counties. It was originally called Pierre's River, named by the early French explorer, Pierre Trevantiagon. The Teton River drains an area of 806 square miles in Idaho and 327 square miles in Wyoming. The river originates from headwater streams in the Teton, Big Hole, and Snake River mountain ranges and flows more than 64 miles to the point at which it discharges to the Henry's Fork River. Teton Canyon contains the river for approximately 17 miles.

Tetonia (T6N R45E sections 28, 29) ALT: 6060' GPS: Lat-434909N Long-1110943W USGS 7.5 Map: Tetonia
Tetonia is an incorporated town about 8 miles Northwest of Driggs at the foot of a big bluff located in the center of the north end of Teton Valley. The first settlers arrived here about 1881. The town site was dedicted in 1910, but significant growth did not occur until the Union Pacific Railroad came through in 1912. A Post Office has been there since 1913. It takes it's name from the Teton Peaks adjacent in Wyoming, which tower over the town.

The String (T3N R45E sections 13, 14) ALT: 6330' GPS: Lat-433505N Long-1110516W USGS 7.5 Map: Victor
An early colony 2 mi S of Victor and 9 mi S of Driggs along Trail Creek. Named because the emigrants to Teton County from Cache Valley, Utah, located on the S banks of Trail Creek 1889, strung their farms out from the mouth of Trail Creek to near Piney Pass.

Thunder Mountain ALT: 8662' GPS: Lat-433856N Long-1111807W USGS 7.5 Map: Garns Mountain
About 2.4 miles southeast of Garns Mountain in the southwest portion of the county.

Twin Forks ALT: 5980' GPS: Lat-434355N Long-1111135W USGS 7.5 Map: Bates
Twin Forks is an area where the Teton River splits into two sections and then merges again into one stream.

Valview
A community formerly in northern Teton County that no longer exists. Also known as Hunnidale. A few families located just east of present day Felt and called the area Hunnidale district. The Mormon church branch located there was known as the Valview Branch. Besides the few homes, the only other buildings in Hunnidale/Valview were a post office and a church.

Victor (T3N R45E section 11) ALT: 6207' GPS: Lat-433610N Long-1110638W USGS 7.5 Map: Victor
Victor is one of three incorporated towns in Teton County. It is located about 8 miles south of Driggs in the southeast part of the county. The first settlers arrived about 1889 and it has had a post office since 1892. It was first known as Fox. It was platted and dedicated in 1901 as Raymond, after the first bishop of the local Mormon ward, David Raymond Sinclair. It's current name was given in honor of George Victor Sherwood, the mail carrier between this community and Jackson, Wyoming, who delivered the mail through an Indian scare despite great danger.

Victor Cemetery GPS: Lat-433536N Long-1110525W USGS 7.5 Map: Victor
This cemetery associated with the community of Victor.

Yellow Creek GPS: Lat-435147N Long-1110339W USGS 7.5 Map: Clawson, McRenolds Reservoir
This is a tributary of the South Fork of Badger Creek that begins in Wyoming.

Search this site                powered by FreeFind
Note: Links to external web sites are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or approval of any of the products, services or opinions contained in any external web site.

Teton County Coordinator
Mike St. Clair
Idaho State Coordinator
Matthew Friend

Copyright 2005 - 2015 © IDGenWeb Project; This page was last modified 10 January 2012.
Send any questions, suggestions, or comments to the Teton County Coordinator.